The Realtor Designation
A real estate agent is a REALTOR when he or she is a member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR), the world's largest professional association. The term Realtor is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the National Association of Realtors and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.
Founded in 1908, NAR has grown from its original nucleus of 120 to today's 720,000 members. NAR is composed of residential and commercial Realtors, who are brokers, salespeople, property managers, appraisers, counselors and others engaged in all aspects of the real estate industry. Members belong to one or more of some 1,700 local associations/boards and 54 state and territory associations of Realtors.
Realtors are pledged to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Working for America's property owners, the National Association provides a facility for professional development, research and exchange of information among its members and to the public and government for the purpose of preserving the free enterprise system and the right to own real property.
The Certified Residential Specialist Designation
The Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) is the highest designation awarded to sales associates in the residential sales field. The CRS designation recognizes professional accomplishments in both experience and education. Since 1977 the Council of Residential Specialists has been conferring the CRS designation on agents who meet its stringent requirements. Realtors who receive the CRS designation have completed advanced courseswork and have demonstrated professional expertise in the field of residential real estate. Fewer than 35,000 realtors nationwide have earned the credential.
Home buyers and sellers can be assured that CRS designees subscribe to the strict realtor code of ethics, have access to the latest technology and are specialists in helping clients maximize profits and minimize costs when buying or selling a home.
The Accredited Buyers Agent Designation
The Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR®) designation is the benchmark of excellence in buyer representation. This coveted designation is awarded to real estate practitioners by the Real Estate Buyer's Agent Council (REBAC) of the National Association of Realtors who meet the specified educational and practical experience criteria.
The Seller Representative Specialist Designation
The Seller Representative Specialist (SRS) designation is the premier credential in seller representation. It is designed to elevate professional standards and enhance personal performance. The designation is awarded to real estate practitioners by the Real Estate Business Institute (REBI) who meet specific educational and practical experience criteria.
The Green Designation
The National Association of Realtors' Green designees are trained in understanding what makes a property green, helping clients evaluate the cost/benefits of green building features and practices, distinguishing between industry rating and classification systems, listing and marketing green homes and buildings, discussing the financial grants and incentives available to homeowners, and helping consumers see a property's green potential.
The Certified DRS Agent™ Designation
Endorsed by the largest medical associations for doctors and doctors in training. The Certified DRS Agent™ designation is for agents who are serious about and committed to serving the needs of the medical community. Only agents that have demonstrated a required level of professionalism and success and who wish to enhance their presence in the medical community are in the network. DRS Agents are held accountable to a high standard within the network.
The Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist® (CLHMS) Designation
Recognized as the mark of accomplishment in luxury markets around the world and the official luxury designation of many national and international brands, the Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist® (CLHMS) designation assures affluent buyers and sellers that the agents who have earned it have the knowledge, experience, competence, and confidence they require. Agents who hold the CLHMS designation are Members of The Institute who have completed required training and have successfully demonstrated their expertise in the luxury home and estate market.
The e-Pro Designation
What is an e-PRO and why should you use one? An e-PRO is a Realtor who has successfully completed the e-PRO training program for real estate professionals. Endorsed by the National Association of Realtors, the e-PRO course teaches professionals the nuts and bolts of working with real estate on-line.
What does all this mean to you? There are several benefits of working with a certified Internet professional:
- More Privacy. Are you reluctant to give out contact information through the Web for fear of being pestered or spammed? e-PROs understand. They've learned the Web isn't just a place to do business; you need information from someone you can trust. That's why e-PROs respect your privacy. They respond quickly to your questions, but don't send you unwanted communication. And they protect your personal information.
- Less Hassle. Tired of struggling to find information? e-PROs are more likely to have access to the latest Internet utilities, making your life easier.
- Less Expense. An e-PRO's access to advanced technology can save you considerable expense. You have more tools to find or market your home, so you're likely to get a better price. With on-line home tours, you reduce in-person showings—and the costs involved. And by using e-mail, you save money on long-distance calls and fax charges.
- Relocating? An e-PRO is ideal for you. With the tools to do your research electronically, you can make a decision on a home the first day you're in town, or without traveling at all. You and your family save on travel costs. And after you've decided to buy, monitoring the sale by e-mail saves you even more.
- Should you use an e-PRO? Yes, especially if you're an Internet user. In this fast-paced age, technology has become a necessity. An e-PRO is someone who has recognized and responded to the needs of the new consumer. If you choose an e-PRO, it's a safe bet you'll get the kind of service you want and need.
The LMC Designation
The Massachusetts Association of Realtors has developed a certification course that teaches Realtors how to work effectively with complicated transactions involving foreclosures, short sales, properties at auction or bank-owned (also known as real estate owned or REO). Certified Realtors are experts in these complicated transactions and can offer assistance as well as guidance to buyers, sellers and mortgage companies.