When you first move into your new home it is a good idea to take care of a few small things that can make a big difference when it counts.
- Change the locks on all your exterior doors. Unless your house is brand new you never know how many strangers may have a key to your front door.
- Replace the batteries in all the smoke detectors in the house. Record the date in your calendar so you will remember to do the same thing next year!
- Unless your heating/air units are new, have the vents and filters cleaned or replaced.
- Create a fire-hazard plan with your family and conduct a practice drill with the children.
- Replace or clean the exhaust hood filter above the range.
- Check all your electric outlets for loose-fitting plugs, as these can pose a fire hazard. These outlets are inexpensive and fairly easy to replace.
- Have the fireplace chimney cleaned. While you are at it go ahead and install a rain cap and a screen to keep the birds out of your chimney.